Friday, October 21, 2016

Halloween Breakthroughs

  Today I got the kids ready for the day, had them help with chores, and then we got down to the fun stuff: Halloween stuff!
  Last week we had made a monster out of garage. It turned out great, until a windstorm that night hit and continued with rain relentlessly throughout the week.
If you look closely you can see the dead people stuck in the monster's teeth, Emily's personal touch.

 We had also made a Halloween wreath, adding plastic bugs and spiders to the Mother's Day wreath. That also fell victim to the wind, as well as cutouts of the kids' hands and feet with ghostly faces drawn onto them. 
So cute! Finally got a DNS decal.

    Well, today we had a new wave of Halloween spirit rolling out, and a hot-glue gun to reinforce what could be salvaged from last week!

 We made a batch of "baby cookies," made out of the baby oatmeal everyone loves. It tasted simple, delicious, and wholesome. There were only two left of them by the time the real deal (the sugar cookies) was done, cut into teams of pumpkins, ghosts, and bats. 
  After a few hours of nap-time-slash-Halloween-movie-time to recover from that work, and helping a wandering three-year-old find her mother, we rallied again. I fired up the hot-glue gun to reinforce the Halloween wreath, "fix" my cherished but chipped Halloween candy jar ("eat, drink, and be scary"), and piece back together some marble chess players the girls got a little too rough with. Then we broke out the acrylic paint sets and brushes to not only paint faces on pumpkins and make miniature pumpkins out of baby-food jars! (I'll show those after they dry and we put the faces on those little suckers.)
L clockwise: Hattie's, mine, Jeremy's (not done yet), Emily's, sugar cookies, baby cookies

No, it doesn't say, "Steal pumpkin." It's #teal pumpkin. It means I have non-candy "treats" as well as candy (for those with allergies or whatever).

 Amid this whole day was a teething, sick, yet somehow happy 13-month-old sweetheart I call Jeremy. Every day I find delight in making his existence a little more pleasant just to see him bask in it. I marvel at how easy he is in many aspects. Hattie enjoys teaching Jeremy how to clean up and other loftier tasks she has mastered. And Emily's appetite to discuss everything and anything that pops into her head makes me glad I have the time to discuss any and all philosophical, existential, practical, ethical, otherwordly and otherwise topics. That and choosing which of her many, many projects to tackle in real life, be it scientific, artistic, festive, civic, and otherwise. 
  They and my brilliant husband keep me on my toes and passionate about my life and all I choose to bring into it. Just last night, after what was going to be a quick discussion over dinner about a book idea of his turned into a two-hour discussion and counting, we looked at each other, exasperated at the time, tired, but amused. I said what we were both thinking: "Why do we have to be so damn mentally stimulating for each other?"
  In short, the past two days have opened doors to accomplish much I haven't had either the time nor the energy for, and surprisingly it has been in the middle of a family-wide cold! 
  It must have been the meditation I started the night before yesterday, but I felt many mental and physical blocks drop out. My ears didn't hurt anymore. In quite a revelation, I organized and labeled the kids' toys and books in the most efficient way. I stayed on top of the kids' medication to ensure they dropped like flies for nap or bed time. Waking up at night to attend to sick kids stopped, and Jeremy's night feeding didn't bother me, because Jared (who was also sick) let me sleep in. 
  Even this morning (Jared having to leave early for work) left me energized after a quick plea to give me the energy I needed, and there it was, like a slow-releasing cup of joe! My spirit is still quietly humming like a motor, vibrant and ready to rest in my gratitude, after adding a few more insights in my private journal. For that, I'm afraid I will have to leave you out.
Jeremy's closet with books and puzzles put away for the night.
The girls' closet, their books, puzzles, and games safely kept from baby.
Playroom toy organizers, labeled so everyone knows where it goes. J's bookshelf, blocks, make-believe, bins for little toys.
You can see I need shelving but Jeremy isn't complaining.
F to B: instruments, balls, cars, soft toys, hard toys, gear game & stacking cups, tools, dolls, and stuffed animals.
Large balls behind the couch.
Thought I'd show the new couch set I randomly got for free that I've literally imagined down to the color. 
Chipped but still kickin
My favorite

No comments: