Monday, February 16, 2009

The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I got this book for Christmas and spent the rest of my vacation reading it. It's about the building of Kingston cathedral in 16th century England. I don't know if it's based on a real cathedral, but I believe it is. It is really hard to read through because it is such a harsh reality to go through. You spend the first half of the book just living with the characters and their day-to-day lives, but you come to care about some of the characters. The book itself spans maybe fourty years. It amazes me how hard it was to get anything done, and how each person has a different motivation concerning the cathedral. It made me appreciate being a women in a free country and a technologically advanced society. The point you should remember about this book is that it's a "meat & potatoes" novel; this isn't something you can just pick up and nibble on. It's hard not to get emotionally drained by it. It's also very graphic; I can't stress that enough!


View all my reviews.

No comments: